Differences between inner families
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Caution  Differences between inner families
I am curious about something. I have known a few multies with small #s of alters. I have a large #. A former pdoc had a name for it but I forget what she called it. She said these large #s are usually a result of red dot past.KI forget the word she used.

What I notice sometimes is that I have less memory loss as a person with high #s than other people who started treatment with less than 10 alters (not that #s matter).

What have other people noticed?
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2019, 03:51 AM by The People.)
02-13-2019, 03:51 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Differences between inner families
is the term you're looking for poly-fragmented?

i haven't given much thought to how much memory loss there is ... it's funny that as a kid my family all said i had the best memory and i did remember lots of trivia, and stuff like that. as an adult looking back, i can't say that i have a great memory for my childhood... there are a few specific memories and then everything else is more like a memory collage with just bits and pieces, or a generalized memory that doesn't fit a specific situation
02-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Yes that is the term. Like you we have a childhood filled with daylight memories. And our long term memory is still amazing.

But what about memories of switching or lost time as an adult. We have always been good unless grey was out.
02-14-2019, 05:29 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

when the others were more active i experienced a lot of what i call "fuzzy time". someone would comment on something i had done, (it could be five minutes ago) and i could only fuzzily remember it. i've only had one adult experience of lost time. it was scary to me because i was driving when it happened. fortunately whoever took over knew how to drive. and they only took control for about 20 minutes. enough that when i came back i had no idea where i was.
02-14-2019, 09:08 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Have you watched Jane on Y&E? She had a really good term for those short memory losses. I will have to go back and look for it. So you have no big gaps from switches?

What used to drive me nuts was when someone insisted that I said or did something. Boss was a liar but it was hard to hold our ground. Not that I said or didn't say it. I didn't know. I was sure I didn't but....

She was a game player that she would say things we knew were lies but that tiny bit of doubt caused us to stay silent.
02-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

i have a childhood memory where the moment i hear my dad start to yell my memory goes black and there's nothing... i don't know who holds the memory of what followed

i remember when i lived in colorado and worked in an office they had a morning meeting where everyone said what they had planned to do that day... and i was sure one person (the team lead) hadn't said what he was going to do... when i said that, everyone looked at me like i was nuts, and said he had... but i don't remember... my switching tends to be like that, very momentary... we are mostly co-present so when a switch occurs i'm peripherally aware (hence the fuzzy time)... so i don't have a lot of gaps ... one of the reasons i am so prone to doubt my dx at times.
02-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Re the meeting stuff. I hate meetings as I can never stay present. I was on a provincial committee and I thought we had skipped an item and I asked about it. Everyone laughed as we had just covered the item. I learned not to open my mouth too often if I was unfocused.
02-17-2019, 11:24 PM
Find Reply
Collectively US Offline

Threads: 9
I feel like my memories start at 10yrs old and go up big block out for the rest, also I find that my short term stinks. The only way I remember what happened at a switch is when we co-exist. It also depends on how far back I am in the car, for example of I'm put in the trunk I will have no memory, passenger seats will give me some memory. For whatever the reasons I only remember good things and some bad stuff.
02-23-2019, 05:36 AM
Find Reply