The mother's words
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Doing okay  The mother's words
Today we were quite pleased when we got up. We have been focusing on healthier eating and weight loss. This morning when we weighed ourselves we had dropped the middle number on the reading for the second time. The 3rd number is still high so we can still go up but it proves that our hard work is paying off. (It also helps that we are living with friends temporarily and they eat healthy)

As we absentmindedly played a game on Facebook an inner argument started. Two told us we would always be fat. Someone disagreed with her and she responded. "You will 'cause the mother said so. Well she's not my mother but she is your mother."

It was more of an aha moment than discouragement. The mother constantly made remarks about our weight and size. We were growing too fast. (developing) We were going to have big thighs like her and the brother. Often when we were sitting or standing close by. But it was as if she couldn't see us or forgot that we could hear.

This is a break through. And I could see the mother, all angry and in our face when she said this. She would put us on a diet and then sabotage it. It was a no win with her. But she is just a voice in our head now. And we WILL never be skinny. Our Scottish heritage body structure isn't designed for that. However, we can be healthy.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
09-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: The mother's words
what a wonderful breakthrough. it's great when we can recognize that the voice in our head is just that - a voice in our head.
09-16-2016, 07:58 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: The mother's words
Yep! When I look in the mirror I see my success. It is not spoiled by a voice saying that it is not enough. Interestingly, while the friends I am living with have healthy meals they are snackers. So I feel no guilt (well not much) if I have a sweet. But actually it makes me want it less.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
09-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Friendship/Support Happy Mother's Day for those who celebrate The People 5 3,171 05-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: The People