Anyone else have cell phone issues
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Anyone else have cell phone issues
I have had so many kinds of cell phones. When they were just basic pre-text there were no issues but for the last few years I have had one problem after another and not just with one company.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
12-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Doing okay  RE: Anyone else have cell phone issues
We have a dumbphone. Refuse to get a smartphone on principle. Ours is a Nokia flip phone with no camera or internet, and we don't text. We've had it for over 10 years, and the only reason why we got that one was that AT+T said that they would have to start billing us an extra $5.00 a month for using a non-digital phone.

Brother #2 (the one who lives at home) has an iphone 4. He has lots of trouble getting reception in the back room of the house, so he has to go to the living room sometimes when he's using it. Huh

Brother #1 had a dumbphone for years, but he recently succumbed and got a Samsung Galaxy like our SIL has. He used to have special ringtones on his dumbphone to signal certain callers. For the SIL, it was Darth Vader's theme song, and for our father, it was the New York Rangers theme song. No idea if he had a special ringtone for us.

We should probably get a pay-as-you-go-plan, because we rarely use our phone. But we don't want to be bothered with making the effort to add minutes every month. So we reconcile the fact that the $45.00 or so that we "waste" each month is a lot cheaper than having a smartphone plan.

MDs
12-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Website Find Reply
Marley Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Anyone else have cell phone issues
Hi

We have an HTC they claim it is a "smart phone" we just call a "lemon" one that leaves a sour frustration with each cut out, still trying to work out what magnification magnifying glass is required to read the "extra large" font. Volcano

Would go back to a "dumb phone" because it would have to be smarter than the HTC but stuck for duration of the plan.
12-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
I recently was having problems with my cell phone and upgrade to Samsung galaxy and I LOVE my new phone. I don't know to work everything on it yet, but what I do know how to do I LOVE.
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
12-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
I have a Samsung Rugby III. It's a dumb phone, and I'm technologically dumber. I don't text, except with fm (because he likes to), or with my bank if someone breaks into my account. I don't know if this thing can get internet, but I can't afford it, nor do I need to be in contact All the time, or play games, or listen to music. Phone addiction is not my thing. Besides my eyes can't take the graphics.
It does have camera. I like that and used camera feature on my old phone. Haven't as yet learned how to use this one. I'd like to though.
I regard this as my private phone.

I offer up my land line to telemarketers and scam callers. The same ones call over and over. Days 10 of these have arrived, all day long. The ringer is almost perpetually off. It has voice mail, and a red light, if a call (with or without a message) has arrived. I do check that frequently.

No serious problems with my cell. I'm sure if I used all of its features, whatever they are, I'd be up to my ears in misunderstandings between myself and the more advanced.
tweets
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
12-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
$45 for a phone that doesn't even access internet - seriously?! and I thought £25 a month for a smartphone was too much...
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Angry  RE: Anyone else have cell phone issues
Once again I am on the phone with Koodo as my email isn't working. I wish I had been like MD and stuck with my original flip phone. I don't email. I do text as it is always free. I rarely talk on it but do like to be able to check my emails when I am not at home. I have never used the internet on it. I have 2 computers and don't need the cost of a third. However it comes with the phone.
12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

(12-04-2013, 08:06 PM)nats Wrote: $45 for a phone that doesn't even access internet - seriously?! and I thought £25 a month for a smartphone was too much...

Yeah, and that's considered a cheap plan.

American cell-phone plans suck. The companies "nickel and dime" people right and left. Our understanding is that plans in European countries are much better--and all-inclusive.

Now we just have to figure out how much £25 is in USD. (Pause) $40.83. *shrug*

MDs
12-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Website Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

(12-05-2013, 02:47 PM)The People Wrote: Once again I am on the phone with Koodo as my email isn't working. I wish I had been like MD and stuck with my original flip phone. I don't email. I do text as it is always free. I rarely talk on it but do like to be able to check my emails when I am not at home. I have never used the internet on it. I have 2 computers and don't need the cost of a third. However it comes with the phone.

Free texting....may be a Canadian thing. It ain't free south of the border.

Hope you get your email fixed.

MDs
12-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Website Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

(12-04-2013, 12:50 PM)tweeter Wrote: I offer up my land line to telemarketers and scam callers. The same ones call over and over. Days 10 of these have arrived, all day long. The ringer is almost perpetually off. It has voice mail, and a red light, if a call (with or without a message) has arrived. I do check that frequently.

We're on the government's Do Not Call list. If there's one thing that we can't stand, it's telemarketers and junk mail. Yeah, that's two things. But they're really two forms of the same thing.

As you know, we keep our answering machine on 24/7. Our motto is: "The phone is here to serve us; we are not here to serve the phone."

Laura and others
12-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

£25 is mid-range to pricey here. For that you'd expect a popular phone, at least 500 minutes national calls, unlimited texts, and 5gb to unlimited internet. if you have a phone and just want calls, texts and a bit of internet, you can get that for about £4 monthly.

For communication and travel costs i think Europe has the US beat. however, you're cheaper in other things like house prices Smile
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Just talking  RE: Anyone else have cell phone issues
£4 monthly for a basic phone plan? Holy moly. You folks do have it good.

We may have better home prices (never thought about that), but they're still expensive. And we/MDs don't want to pay thousands of dollars a year in property taxes. We only need a one-bedroom apartment anyway.

MDs
12-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

True the property taxes you have are painful - hope they never start that over here! We already pay far more than enough in income taxes..
12-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(12-06-2013, 12:28 AM)MakersDozn Wrote:
(12-04-2013, 12:50 PM)tweeter Wrote: I offer up my land line to telemarketers and scam callers. The same ones call over and over. Days 10 of these have arrived, all day long. The ringer is almost perpetually off. It has voice mail, and a red light, if a call (with or without a message) has arrived. I do check that frequently.

We're on the government's Do Not Call list. If there's one thing that we can't stand, it's telemarketers and junk mail. Yeah, that's two things. But they're really two forms of the same thing.

As you know, we keep our answering machine on 24/7. Our motto is: "The phone is here to serve us; we are not here to serve the phone."

Laura and others

We gave up the land line when we got the cell phone. It is free calling long distance in Canada after 6 and on weekends and I rarely call. I had a cell for years and finally decided I don't need 2 phones. Becoming a growing trend here in Canada.
12-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(12-06-2013, 04:43 AM)nats Wrote: £25 is mid-range to pricey here. For that you'd expect a popular phone, at least 500 minutes national calls, unlimited texts, and 5gb to unlimited internet. if you have a phone and just want calls, texts and a bit of internet, you can get that for about £4 monthly.

For communication and travel costs i think Europe has the US beat. however, you're cheaper in other things like house prices Smile

True that.
12-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Silly Bad phone brings better day The People 1 1,584 05-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Last Post: mosaic
Happy A Nice Phone Message The People 2 2,392 08-23-2018, 11:50 PM
Last Post: The People
Question Weird re phone The People 5 4,225 04-02-2015, 03:34 AM
Last Post: The People