Microsoft Updates
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Question  Microsoft Updates
Anyone else having difficulty accessing Microsoft updates directly from Microsoft website?

Yesterday got notice that this service wasn't running (Toshiba laptop -- Windows Vista), after a search for high priority updates. Same today. I'm concerned because I haven't used this computer for several months. I did not have it set for automatic download and installation of updates. I had no difficulty updating Java, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flashplayer, or upgrading Firefox.

On the Dell laptop (Windows XP), the search for high priority updates took so long yesterday that I gave up. Tried again today and none were indicated. Nothing unusual.

tweeter
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
07-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Feedback  RE: Microsoft Updates
Haven't had that problem. We did recently have a problem, though, where we kept getting notified about a particular update that we declined, even though we'd asked not to be reminded. After a few weeks or so, for some mysterious reason, the problem disappeared.

Bill Gates giveth, and Bill Gates taketh away. *shrug*

Dunno if yours is a Microsoft issue, a Vista issue, or what. When we had our problem, we posted about it on the Windows Live message boards. Maybe they can help you.

Laura and others
07-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

RE: Microsoft Updates
(07-08-2012, 06:56 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Haven't had that problem. We did recently have a problem, though, where we kept getting notified about a particular update that we declined, even though we'd asked not to be reminded. After a few weeks or so, for some mysterious reason, the problem disappeared.

Bill Gates giveth, and Bill Gates taketh away. *shrug*

Dunno if yours is a Microsoft issue, a Vista issue, or what. When we had our problem, we posted about it on the Windows Live message boards. Maybe they can help you.

Laura and others

Am taking a head-in-the-sand approach (should be an icon for that). Sending Toshiba on vacation. Will try again in a couple of weeks. Vista complicates my life, and it's a backup computer at this point, for which I'm grateful. It works.
I was also going nuts over the DNSChanger Malware fracas. I got the good green color on tests for both computers. I love it when you think you've passed, and then it's a maybe, cause there's always a chance..... Heck with it.

FM spending some time here after his vacation at The Cape. Connected printer today.

cheerios,
tweeter
07-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Microsoft Updates
(07-08-2012, 11:27 PM)tweeter Wrote: Am taking a head-in-the-sand approach (should be an icon for that). Sending Toshiba on vacation. Will try again in a couple of weeks. Vista complicates my life, and it's a backup computer at this point, for which I'm grateful. It works.
I was also going nuts over the DNSChanger Malware fracas. I got the good green color on tests for both computers. I love it when you think you've passed, and then it's a maybe, cause there's always a chance..... Heck with it.

FM spending some time here after his vacation at The Cape. Connected printer today.

cheerios,
tweeter

Wasn't aware that Murphy had sent you Malware. Glad FM is with you for a few days.

As for a head-in-the-sand icon....well, that would leave the person with his butt in the air, wouldn't it? Tongue

Laura and others
07-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

RE: Microsoft Updates
(07-09-2012, 02:30 PM)MakersDozn Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 11:27 PM)tweeter Wrote: Am taking a head-in-the-sand approach (should be an icon for that). Sending Toshiba on vacation. Will try again in a couple of weeks. Vista complicates my life, and it's a backup computer at this point, for which I'm grateful. It works.

cheerios,
tweeter

Wasn't aware that Murphy had sent you Malware. Glad FM is with you for a few days.

As for a head-in-the-sand icon....well, that would leave the person with his butt in the air, wouldn't it? Tongue

Laura and others

Oh yes. In the air, and waving in the wind.
Actually didn't have Malware, but took the warnings seriously, and then.... I don't know whether you went to the website and ran the test, was told everything's good, but just in case it really isn't.... you can continue the goose chase. FBI was in on the diagnostics.
There have been some major Microsoft updates, so I'll see if Toshiba can compute, so to speak.

It was nice not to sleep here for a week. Even so, the electric bill should be interesting. Cheerios,
tweets
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2012, 08:26 PM by tweeter.)
07-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Just talking Microsoft sleigh ride tweeter 2 3,281 07-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Last Post: tweeter