How to deal with holiday stress????
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Video  How to deal with holiday stress????
While we have had Christmas struggles in the past, this year the grey has already moved in. Our home is a mess and I cannot remember the last time we did laundry. I have to remember to breathe. I was drinking too much but in recognition of the fact that it costs money that I don't have we stopped; well slowed down. There are also a lot of bottles hanging from our family tree.

So, the old stuff isn't working. It would be easy to say that it is just another day but we all know that it isn't. It is a season that starts with decorations before Halloween.

And people start asking "what are your plans this Christmas?" For the past 3 years we have spent it with either our friends or their pets. This year they are taking the cat home and the last dog will join the first one in dog heaven. This is adding to the sadness as we really love those dogs.

So anyway, I know that other people struggle with this time too. I thought perhaps we could have a list f suggestions re how people get through the season. Some people just pretend that it is just another day but that doesn't work for us. Probably by the time the day comes we can just shrug it off but how do we get to that day?

Maybe we can make a short list together?
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
11-26-2018, 09:35 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
RE: How to deal with holiday stress????
I have a VERY hard time with Christmas. For me the best thing is to do things for other people - people truly less fortunate. Volunteering to hand out meals at a homeless shelter is my go-to. It is the best way ever for me to spend Christmas - by truly giving of myself to others. It works for me.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
12-21-2018, 09:51 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

We always did that in the past but weren't drawn to it this year. We spend a lot of tie helping a senior. I think that sucks up all of my goodness.
12-21-2018, 10:57 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
I can understand. Sometimes there's just so much of you to go around, and when your inner resources are already being stretched to their limit there's not much left to stretch any further. Hearing you on that.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
12-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
i basically grit my teeth and get through it... not the best suggestion, i know.
12-22-2018, 10:51 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

We did buy some books today and know that we are getting pajamas for Christmas. We will have at least 1 pajama day where we move from the tub to our chair in new PJs with book in hand. Best kind of day after life has been too busy.
12-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
been a very strange few months. we've basically dealt with everything by binge-watching stupid tv series (we don't own a tv so plenty to catch up on) and barely leaving the house. some of us hate it and the rest of us just don't care at all... we're too apathetic to feel depressed...
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Welll we all got through. We kept things low key and like Nats we binge watched a lot of TV. We recognized how many friends we have from sea to sea and around the world. Here and in 3D. he littles we happy because we got a few gifts and we were happy to spend time with friends. We even went to church as a pastor we really like (there are some good ones) is now in a church that we can walk to. So we really did much better than expected. I am glad you all got through it too. Happy New Year. Congratulations to all of us on getting through. It has just dawned on me that I have finally come to terms with the fact that some old friends are permanently gone from my life and I am OK with that. All of us have changed and we no longer have much in common. That helped.
01-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
congratulations and happy 2019 Smile
we also struggle with letting go, especially people. think we also may have made some progress on that last year. well done all!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
01-02-2019, 03:08 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

You to Nats!
01-03-2019, 05:35 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post