Christmas . . . again
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Christmas . . . again
It seems I just got through the stress and hassle of Christmas, and here it is again just around the corner. This is becoming like a monster with a bottomless pit that keeps needing to be fed. it's not that I hate Christmas, per se, but we have mixed feelings about it and haven't bothered much about it for many decades - quite happily ignored it all that time. Now that I'm married,  my husband, even though he has this huge tr--ma background surrounding this holiday, is really UP on the whole Christmas thing, probably because as an adult he was able to make new memories with his own child. 
      I just find the whole thing too stressful.  This whole thing about buying stuff is what gets me the most. I buy stuff for him all year round, so I don't see why I have to wrack my brain every December to come up with something to top all the other stuff I've gotten. I buy for his daughter and son-in-law, and do so happily as they like useful things that they really need. But my husband has everything and getting something for him is expensive. I just don't want to do this. We promise each other a low minimum limit, but we bust through it each year. This is the reason I dumped Christmas in the first place. I think this year I am going to suggest that we pool our resources and give to a favourite charity, or maybe adopt a child through the Christian children's fund. Now that, I can get onboard with. Knowing that I am giving someone things that they really need, like food, schooling, medical care, and a small toy... now that would put the joy of the season on my face. We live in a society that is so driven by material acquisition, and the commercials at Christmas time just drive us to consume even more - the whole thing feels like I am being manipulated to celebrate this holiday the way the merchants in this world want me to celebrate it. I opted out for decades because of this, but now I have the happiness and expectations of another human being to consider; a human being I love very much and don't want to disappoint.
       I'm not really looking for answers to this problem because I have to figure it out for myself. But I'm wondering if there aren't others out there who are fed up with this endless cycle of buying stuff just because it's the holidays. I don't like buying out of obligation - I like getting people gifts whenever the mood strikes me or the need for something is there for them. Grrrrrrr - maybe even a little bit of Bah Humbug.  
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2016, 11:38 AM by Cammy.)
11-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Christmas . . . again
Totally hear what you're saying. would personally explain to anyone who already has everything they need and who you already get regular gifts for that you really want to do something meaningful, e.g. helping others or making memories rather than collecting stuff. you could organise a special trip or event together if it has to be for him, but the idea of sponsoring a child or animal sounds great.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
11-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
We get stressed too. Unfortunately we go into automatic pilot, buying things we cannot afford. We bought for a senior the other night, probably spending almost enough to get ourselves at least 1 winter tire. we thought we had all seasons. a friend told me a while back that they are American all season/ we live in northern AB and this year live up a steep hill.

My friend and her 2 adult kids bought a well in Africa or somewhere one year. they all have everything they need. they felt good about it. they just did stockings for each other. You could do that. Set some sort of them and make it silly for $20. See who can get the most items in the stocking or pick a letter and everything in the stocking has to start with that letter.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
11-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Thanks for all your comments and ideas. Christmas got crazy here this year before the fact because I ended up with a big new tatt and some piercings and a rad hair cut. To placate hubby, I bought him a tatt he's been hankering for since I met him. It worked - he loved his new tatt so much that my hair, tatt and piercings are AOK. But then it went awry. Stoked from the super good tatt, he decided to fix an old tatt on the other shoulder. I also had an old tatt on my other wrist that I wanted covered, and so felt jealous. It turned into one of those 'one upmanship' situations (sometimes referred to as a pissing contest in male parlance). So now we are both sporting two new tatts. He sat seven hours for the one, and I sat six hours to cover my old wrist band with the new one. I think we're even now. Sheesh. Now what's left to give are things like socks and underwear: it is what it is.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
12-08-2016, 07:33 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Sounds like a lot of sh*t to go through. I hope you like the tats at least.
12-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Yes I'm really happy with all the work I got done. It makes my outside say what's on the inside. I feel like ME for the first time in a long time. It's a good feeling. I know this look isn't for everyone, but I'm long past the point where I care what other people think when they look at me. I guess whatever works is where it's at for me right now.
Heart
12-23-2016, 12:38 AM
Find Reply
Lands of Rain Offline

Threads: 3
That sounds great Igraine - the tat not the Christmas hassles. Everyone talks about liking this time of year but I'm not sure that I know anyone who really does - there's always so much stress and drama. 
12-23-2016, 04:27 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

We watched the Grinch this evening. Even Two got the message this time. About how it is not what you get but who you have in your life that makes Christmas. We sent that message to a friend whose dark times stopped her from coming for a pre-Christmas visit. She feels badly but cannot change things. We get it. And we have plans with friends this year. A first in a long time.

So, Merry Christmas to all of my friends here. Spend it in whatever way is good for you.
12-24-2016, 01:56 AM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It is Christmas Eve in Canada The People 2 1,939 12-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: The People
Happy Fight on a Christmas card The People 2 2,155 12-15-2018, 02:42 AM
  Merry Christmas! Tangled Web 1 1,946 12-26-2014, 09:14 AM
  Merry Christmas Eve! The People 4 3,404 12-26-2014, 09:11 AM