Petty or "rightfully so?"
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Angry  Petty or "rightfully so?"
I see so much advertizing about and stories for kids and adults with Autism and other disabilities. Whole towns showing up when invitees don't show up for kid's party. Special movie theatre opens up for people with disabilities.

I am not saying this is not wonderful but what about us? The universal us for multies? The people that get stared at if they speak of their challenges. That people assume must be abusers because of stupid shows like Criminal Minds. WE NEED HELP TOO! WE ARE PEOPLE 1/100 TOO! WTF!

Am I being childish and unfair? Or do I have a right to these feelings? or somewhere in between? I worked with people with disabilities for most of my career so I understand the challenges these people face. But nobody wants to talk about us.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
03-31-2015, 12:58 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: Petty or "rightfully so?"
of course you have a right to your feelings. it's not fair that DID is treated the way it is.

i remember the first tv movies about autism, oh way back in the late 70's. autism was portrayed as kids who just rocked back and forth, banged their heads on the walls, and shunned any sort of physical touch. it has taken decades for the media and the general public to see autism differently.

i guess i'm saying that to give us hope that someday DID will also be seen more realistically and will be something talked about openly. it may not be for decades from now but who knows.
03-31-2015, 08:37 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Petty or "rightfully so?"
This is true. But the difference is that we are adults and it makes society that much less caring and more afraid of us. And so many of us are afraid to speak ot for ourselves. Can't even keep a f*ck*ng web site going.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
03-31-2015, 01:35 PM
Find Reply