Lots of thought
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Lots of thought
I have bought several gifts at the same kiosk in the mall. I have all that I need now. The woman had an accent and told me where she was from but didn't say much about it.

The things at the Kiosk were Christmas ornaments of various kinds, mostly trees and snowmen and things but some were Christian. Last night as I left the mall I saw the woman closing up the kiosk. She had a hijab on her head. I was stunned but I think I knew they were non-Christians. As I look back not once did she wish me Merry Christmas.

I struggle with the fact that when I saw her last night she wore a hijab. She is Muslim. I became very confused. I spent the last 24 hours trying to figure out how I felt about this. Her husband and a woman that I assume is also a relative were often around.

Had she worn the Hijab people would not have bought from her by and large even though many don't even believe in the traditional Christmas with Christ etc. So I guess that I wonder what I would do if the tables were turned and I had to choose between my cross and feeding my family. In the end I felt sad for her and ashamed for our society. I am glad that I supported her business because they were nice gifts and she was a nice woman; I bought enough things that she gave me discounts. If she is there next year I will go back if it meets my needs. While she does not celebrate Christmas she supports my right to and that is how we all should be.

Attached Files Image(s)

I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
12-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Find Reply
Kakanutu Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Lots of thought
Apart from the obvious financial incentives, but perhaps her selling Christmas stuff is her respecting your beliefs even though they clearly are not her own, like you say.

I agree with you. It's shameful how society judges people who are different.
01-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(01-07-2014, 09:43 PM)Kakanutu Wrote: Apart from the obvious financial incentives, but perhaps her selling Christmas stuff is her respecting your beliefs even though they clearly are not her own, like you say.

I agree with you. It's shameful how society judges people who are different.

I think she would have to have some respect. There were not a lot of Christian themes but there were a few mangers. They do believe Jesus existed. Just have a different twist on him. You're right. Perhaps she is respecting our beliefs just as I respect hers (don't share them but respect them. The basic rule of all religions is about Man's Humanity to man (or woman). It is part of the teachings of all of the faiths that I am aware of unless you walk to the dark side.
01-18-2014, 02:02 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
Jesus is an important prophet in islam. he's just not considered to be a god or a son of God.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM by nats.)
01-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Find Reply
dreamers Offline

Threads: 104
if you think about it, barnes and noble sells lots different stuff on religions even though its a secular store. I dont see much difference there. I would however be amazed/shocked if say a chr bookstore started selling muslim stuff. I guess what i mean is I would be more upset if one day the lady was handing out chr tracts or wearing a cross and a wwjd shirt and the next day had a Hijab to me the switch would show that there was dishonesty somewhere then again i guess it could mean someone has alters who have different beliefs.
Favorite Quotes:" I didn't mean to be brave. It happened when I panicked"
-Piglet ( Winnie the Pooh)

" the Only difference between Bravery and stupidity is the context"
-unknown
02-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

(02-07-2014, 12:13 AM)dreamers Wrote: if you think about it, barnes and noble sells lots different stuff on religions even though its a secular store. I dont see much difference there. I would however be amazed/shocked if say a chr bookstore started selling muslim stuff. I guess what i mean is I would be more upset if one day the lady was handing out chr tracts or wearing a cross and a wwjd shirt and the next day had a Hijab to me the switch would show that there was dishonesty somewhere then again i guess it could mean someone has alters who have different beliefs.

Agree with what you are saying about Christians not selling Muslim stuff. What bothered me about it was her feeling the need to hide her beliefs just to make a living. I don't know if I could do it. Not judging her. Feel sad.
02-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
(02-17-2014, 11:44 PM)The People Wrote: What bothered me about it was her feeling the need to hide her beliefs just to make a living. I don't know if I could do it. Not judging her. Feel sad.

that is sad. guess there is still a lot of misunderstanding and even hostility towards muslims from some people. she probably felt safer keeping her beliefs to herself so she wouldn't be judged negatively - just as most of us keep our multiplicity to ourselves for similar reasons..
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
02-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Find Reply