Identity theft
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Other/All/Unsure   Identity theft
It's not enough to be ill. I have this too. In Oct., someone got into my debit card from another state. The bank, had spotted one of the charges (two in one day at same place) and stopped it. I filled out and mailed the dispute form. Almost exactly one month later, it happened again, from a store walking distance from home. A store where I have never shopped. Again, two charges on the same day, but for a lot more money. The bank hadn't stopped them.

The bank has put all stolen funds back into my account, and is investigating. They say I might lose all the money if ......... Then they say I might have to file a police report, but they don't tell me to do so now.

On Friday, I decided to be proactive, and walked into the local precinct. Filed a report. Just got a claim number over the phone.
Tomorrow I have to call Soc. Sec., all financial connections (few), utility company, credit bureau. I was wondering about my Passport. I don't own real estate or a car, and never have.

I feel sick. I have no rational medical support, but that's another convoluted story. Have a high-stress medical appointment on Wed.
The govt. and my life are a chaotic mess. I know my messes are going to get worse, cause that's the way it is. Just as I know that fm will keep pressuring me to move back in with him or to a beach resort area where he could drop in whenever. No! I'd rather d** than live like that.

not feeling like I belong anywhere, cause I don't,
tweeter
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
11-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Identity theft
had the card thing happen. definitely you were right to file a police report and get the reference number (police can't help but ref number is key for any later dispute with card company). then you need a new card number (actually, they do that automatically in UK but cant remember if US cards keep the same number?). usually if you report ID theft card companies have a particular protocol that they follow, which tends to work alright (certainly much better than most other companies deal with ID theft). it's highly unpleasant though - hope it works out!
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
We are sooooo very sorry you are going through this Tweeter. Sending you blue flowers and letting you know we think you fit here.
Tangled.
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
11-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Identity theft
tweeter,

We're glad that you filed the police report. And we hope that the appointment on Wednesday goes well.

MDs
11-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(11-24-2013, 06:08 PM)nats Wrote: had the card thing happen. definitely you were right to file a police report and get the reference number (police can't help but ref number is key for any later dispute with card company). then you need a new card number (actually, they do that automatically in UK but cant remember if US cards keep the same number?). usually if you report ID theft card companies have a particular protocol that they follow, which tends to work alright (certainly much better than most other companies deal with ID theft). it's highly unpleasant though - hope it works out!

Hi nats. Yeah, I had figured that bank might come up with some inconclusive bs, and then say I had to file a police report....

I'm sure that police are overwhelmed with paperwork, as the officer who called me this morning had not looked at the bank statement I had provided, or maybe he was testing my honesty. He had one question, that being how I knew the location of the store in my neighborhood. It was in bank statement (and in the police report I filed). He also said he wasn't aware of the first incident a month ago, also described in submitted materials. So, I don't get it. Or, maybe I do.
The bank, a credit union, issued a new card/card # after the first incident. That has been compromised and another one is being sent to me.

I was told by police that my social security # is the vehicle of these thefts. I don't understand, not that an explanation has been supplied. But, a major concern mentioned was that my soc. sec. stipend could be stolen.

Anyhow, tomorrow everyone will be notified. I have a claim #, but not a copy of the police report, because I have to file another paper to have it sent to me. Why that couldn't have been included in the envelope of parting gifts (suggestions as to what I had to do on my own, like notifying ...... alerts......), I don't know. They're making more work for themselves.

I wish I didn't need anything from anyone. That I could just walk away, which I am capable of doing. Times like this I have to remind myself that there is a difference between self defense and defensiveness.
I just want to be happy, not to live in misery so that I can make someone else's misery more bearable. That being the crux of my answer to your denial question from another thread. Will try to get back to that soon. I've been thinking about it, but the words aren't always there. The interest is. I've learned the hard way that pointing out another person's denial to them, however kindly, is not appreciated. I guess I'll use this as the beginning of my answer in that thread.

Thanks,
tweeter
11-25-2013, 12:40 AM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(11-24-2013, 07:52 PM)Tangled Web Wrote: We are sooooo very sorry you are going through this Tweeter. Sending you blue flowers and letting you know we think you fit here.
Tangled.

Thank you, Tangled. Appreciate it.
tweeter
11-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Sad  RE: Identity theft
(11-24-2013, 08:32 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: tweeter,

We're glad that you filed the police report. And we hope that the appointment on Wednesday goes well.

MDs

Yes. It would have been nice if the bank had suggested this, rather than holding over my head like a thr**t, alongside the statement that the replaced money might be taken away from me.

I have no great expectations re dermatology appointment. Thanks for your good wishes though. It's a long shot, which decades ago (when docs were autonomous in their assessments and treatments) would have been a smart move. Now, it's a crap shoot.

In a lot of ways I'm being phased out. The computer, without whistles and bells and flashing and moving this and that, is being phased out. It's my source of info. and saving that info., and communicating for business and personal reasons. It keeps me from going crazy, and allows me to make intelligent decisions. From the bs I'm getting from you know who, and my feeling that there's nothing of quality and stability out there that would be equivalent to XP, with less active graphics, it seems I won't be online much longer either.

I'm being stolen from, have been prevented from having a good friend by someone with a d*ng*r**s agenda that he won't admit to cause he's n*ts, been accused of what I didn't do or say, defended some who then turned on me when it was in their interest to do so cause they felt cornered by someone else. I guess about the only thing left in terms of "pursuit of happiness" that hasn't been destroyed is getting that name change done.
Appreciating the support, but absolutely disgusted with everything.
tweeter
11-25-2013, 05:45 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
i'm so sorry tweeter. it really seems to be one thing after another till infinity Heart.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
11-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Friendship/Support  RE: Identity theft
(11-25-2013, 05:17 PM)nats Wrote: i'm so sorry tweeter. it really seems to be one thing after another till infinity Heart.

It does, and it is.
I get a call from a detective today. Why did I give a picture ID from another state? ("because I used to live there." It has not expired.) Why did I wait a month before filing a police report, ignoring instructions from bank to do so. I was not instructed to do this. He started to argue that I was contradicting myself. Wrong move, fella. The bank was investigating, and, on the basis of that, I had been told I might have to file a police report. I did so on my own when my new card was compromised, almost exactly one month since the first instance. This time it was close to home, in a place where I did not shop or frequent. So, I took action on my own.
On the whole, he was friendly. But, I came to understand what innocent people accused of serious crimes might be put thru. A lot worse than this.

I called Soc. Sec. Mind you that only my debit card has been affected, and it's my feeling that this is originating in my neighborhood. I told SS that the bank had replaced my card, and is doing so again. Numbers on the cards are different. They said my account number should be changed, or I should change banks. I don't see the point. This is not something I want to do, nor do I see the point, as nothing else has been affected outside of debit card.

I called the bank back. They said it made no sense to change my account number, but they would if that is what I wanted to do. I decided to retain the number. The new card arrived today. I await a new PIN.

I called on credit card company. I've had no problems there. They took care of getting in touch with a credit bureau and putting the card on alert for 90 days (renewable).
My plan is to use that credit card for shopping in the neighborhood, and paying the card in a couple of days via my usual way of doing so, and seeing what happens. We're talking about three grocery stores and a couple of chain drug stores where I get tooth paste and stuff like that.

Tomorrow, I'll have the other card company set up the same thing.

I called Con Ed. I don't have to worry because I pay only by check.

I need to set up something with a credit bureau for credit report and whatever else I can get for free. I've never had to bother with this before. I don't own property or a car. There are things one can do, like blocking credit checks unless I approve them. Keeps anyone from going fishing.
Thing is that it's impossible to get a person on the phone, and I'm no good at dealing with data input with a phone robot on the other end. For one thing, I can't react fast enough cause I'm sick. I'll write to the same credit bureau that credit card company dealt with, which was one suggested by the police dept. See what can be worked out. Already looked at the website, and I feel sure I'll be accommodated. That's tomorrow morning. Along with filing papers for a copy of the police report, and mailing the second and third dispute forms to the bank.
I'd like to keep things simple: using debit card in stores I don't believe are involved, and for getting cash (at a bank ATM only). If I run into difficulty again, I hope it waits until I have my name change done, so I can make the changes all at once, including changing the account number and ordering checks.

Then, there's going in person to file for copy of latest medical test results, and hoping I'm informed correctly and completely. Yeah, I have stories about this field too.

I had read in my tarot that I'd be tied up in the legal system.
Anyhow, I'm not as depressed as I was last night.

thank you,
tweeter
11-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Find Reply